Duration: Three days
Method of Study: In person, on site
Schedule: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day
Age Requirement: 18+
Eligibility: Resident of Toronto, Brampton, or Mississauga, eligible to work in Canada. Interested and available for work in food service. Please note: proof of vaccination is required for this in-person workshop.
Restaurant Basics can give you the head start you need to land an in-demand job with a great hospitality employer.
In just three days you will learn the basics of working in a restaurant and will acquire the skills needed to become a busser, host, server, banquet server, or café worker. You will also have the chance to earn the certifications required for success in food service at no cost.
Over three days of in-person instruction, you will acquire the basic skills for success in food and beverage service, including:
- Welcoming, seating and serving guests;
- Proper table setting, food delivery and tray/glass holding techniques;
- Understanding Point of Sale systems, booking systems, and manual/electronic seating charts, and how they impact business;
- Strategies for creating a memorable customer experience;
- Strategies for managing difficult interactions with guests.
You will also work with HWTC Instructors to:
- Increase your confidence in the transferability of your skills to the food & beverage industry;
- Understand various career paths and opportunities for advancement in the sector;
- Get a better picture of current demand for food and beverage workers.
Following successful completion of the program you will have the opportunity to acquire your Smart Serve and Food Handlers certifications online at no additional cost.
Why This Program
Coming out of the pandemic, food and beverage workers will be among the most in-demand positions in the GTA. This three-day course will give you an advantage over unskilled applicants, helping you land a better job faster. With the basic knowledge you will acquire, you can also consider different roles within food and beverage service.
Aug 23, 24 & 25 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
Sep 6 , 7 & 8 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)