Frequently Asked Questions
The easiest way to find out the answers to all of your HWTC questions, is to attend our free weekly virtual information sessions.
Is HWTC still open during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
Yes! We have a range of virtual and personalized services to help you get back to work and on your feet. Get started by looking at our free programs.
What do I need to qualify for HWTC programs?
To qualify for most HWTC programs and services, you need to be:
- 18 years of age and older
- A resident of Ontario
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Have reliable access to internet
- Have a computer, tablet or cell phone that can support Zoom meetings
I am an Employer – how can you help me?
We work directly with our employer partners to identify your workforce needs and help you access the supports you need along the way to recovery. We will help mitigate the impact of the Pandemic on your existing workforce and connect you with trained and ready workers who are ready to support your recovery efforts. Speak to one of our specialists at 1-888-777-4982 to get started right away.
How much does an HWTC course cost?
Programs are free for those who qualify.
Will participation in HWTC programs interrupt my social supports like Canada Emergency Response Benefits (CERB) Ontario Works (OW), Employment Insurance (EI) or Ontario Disability Supports Program (ODSP)?
No. Our team will work with your case manager so that you can access all of the supports you need during training.
What can HWTC help me with?
If you are a hospitality or food service worker, impacted by the layoffs and business closures, we are here to help you coordinate the social services you need to stabilize, prepare you for new opportunities, and position you to connect back to work.
We can help you with:
- Job search and job application skills
- Training and reskilling opportunities
- Assist with Red Seal Certification
- Resume writing, updating, and career counselling
- Financial supports qualification and application – EI, Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), Sickness and Drug Benefits
- Networking opportunities and supports
- Referral supports to other social services such as housing and mental health supports
- Understanding and navigating your rights and responsibilities during layoffs and/or job restructuring
Call us at 1-888-777-4982 to get started.
What is the time commitment for an average program?
Our programs are focused and short, usually between 2-8 weeks. Check out our program details for specific program start dates.
Can I apply if I live outside of Toronto?
We accept participants from anywhere in Ontario.
Will I be able to participate in more than one training program at a time?
Depending on your situation and interest, there are opportunities to participate in more than one program offered by HWTC. Speak to one of our Specialists to develop a learning plan, that will best fit your situation. Contact us to get started right away.